Thursday, March 5, 2009

My grandma



Last night, I received a phone call from my parents while in the middle of shopping in Target and received the news that my grandma has colon cancer. I knew she wasn't feeling well and was (trying to) preparing myself for this moment, but it turns out you can't really prepare yourself.

I cried for a minute and then called to talk to her personally. I have to say that she is so lucky (potentially) because it was found early (so early that she may not even have chemo). She will be getting a laproscopic cholectomy in two weeks in which they will not only remove the section of the colon where the tumor resides, but taking some lymph nodes around the area as well to see if there's any cancerous cells. After that, they will be able to stage the cancer apropriately and determine whether they need to go forward with chemo based on if it's in the lymph nodes.

In the meantime, she holding up pretty well with this new diagnosis. My stepmom (who I think is amazing for doing this) is planning to go to Kansas and spend the 3 weeks with my grandparents while she gets the surgery done and recovers. My grandma is also the caregiver for my grandpa so it definitely takes some load off of them while my grandma recuperates.

In the meantime, keep her and my family in your prayers for God's comfort and strength as we deal with this day by day...

3 comments:

Jan said...

I will be praying!

Tricia G. said...

Tricia - I'm so sorry!!!! I will definately be keeping your family in my prayers!

Lala!! said...

Thinking of you and praying for you all. Chris